Thursday, August 6, 2015

Of cloudy days and rain showers

It's really all in perspective.  Matthew 6:22-23 states, "The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.  But if thine eye be evil, thy whole body shall be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in thee be darkness, how great is that darkness!" It could also be stated "Your eyes are windows into your body.  If you open your eyes wide in wonder and belief, your body fills up with light.  If you live squinty-eyed in greed and distrust, your body is a dan cellar.  If you pull the blinds on your windows, what a dark life you will have!"  Oh it truly is all in the eyes!  We can live in wide eyed wonder and belief that God is good and is in control of all things, or we can live "squinty-eyed" in distrust and fear of what is to come.

Earlier this week, I was reading about Planned Parenthood and the atrocities unborn babies are enduring.  Then in another article, I read how certain companies are using these embryonic parts and my heart was overwhelmed.  Then I began thinking of the world my children are growing up in with ISIS raging war on Christianity, homosexual marriage being legalized in the US, poverty is rampant world wide, and many children desperately needing to be adopted and loved- my heart and soul were deeply saddened (and that really doesn't touch the emotional feeling, but for choice of words let's use that one). My perspective was dark.  I was focusing on the evil around me, and let the darkness of this world clouded my perspective.

This morning as I was reading a devotional from Ann Voskamp, it was overcast and cloudy outside, and I was reminded "That which seems evil, is it a cloud to bring rain, to bring a greater good to the whole of the world?  Who would ever know the greater graces of comfort and perseverance, mercy and forgiveness, patience and courage, if no shadows fell over a life?"  Deuteronomy 32:39 reminds us, "See now that I, I am He, and there is no god besides Me; It is I who put to death and give life.  I have wounded and it is I who heal." As if in answer to the question of using evil as clouds to bring rain,  God allowed the clouds that hovered all morning to burst with showers.  Yes, He valiantly answered, it is all for MY glory!  The water is still graciously flowing from the heavens ushering life giving water.  No matter what state our world is in, this I know, GOD IS GOOD.  He is in control, and can turn the heart of any king.

Every day is a spiritual battle and the devil "sneers at all the things that seem to have gone hideously mad in this sin-drunk world, and I gasp to say God is good...When I realize that it is not God who is in my debt but I who am in His great debt, then doesn't all become gift?"  So, in the battle of each day, every breath is a gift.  It is all in perspective.  We can focus on the decline of our society, or we can choose to see the good.  Christianity is growing by leaps and bounds around the globe even in the face of persecution.  Children are being adopted and loved.  People are standing up for their faith and belief that homosexuality is a sin.  Organizations and missionaries like Compassion International, Gospel for Asia, FWBIM, Faith missions are planting churches and giving relief and aiding in poverty stricken areas.  In the darkness, light shines at it's brightest, and in the cloudiest of days; God rains down His glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment