Friday, October 17, 2014

Mommy Theology- Our Hope

This morning I woke up with a heavy heart.  This has been going on for a couple days now.  Watching the news...keeping up with the middle East, ISIS, Ebola, our own government, Christian pastors being asked to turn over sermons in Houston.  It's enough to burden even the stoutest of hearts.  I pray often for missionary friends living in Africa, Bulgaria, the Christian mothers in the 10/40 window.  As I pray for them, I then pray "Lord, please, protect my husband and other pastors like him from persecution that could be coming sooner than later it seems.  Keep my children healthy and happy.  Protect our friends and family from these injustices also."  Worry.  It's not what God wants.  I don't want to live in it.  Yet, the what ifs get overwhelming when looking at the whole picture.  Is there any hope for the world or a peace to come to it?

YES!  Our hope is in the One who made this world.  He is holding it and all of these events in the palm of His hand.  He is individually caring for my husband, my children, and yours.  These events are big, but our God is bigger still.  Even when we can't quite wrap our finite minds around the circumstances around us or ponder a solution, we have no reason to despair.  Heavy hearted?  I still am for those who are being persecuted and in the wake of health crisis.  Praying when I think of them, and remembering Who is near to and comforts them, gives me hope and comfort also.

When dealing with the worry, the Esther Bible study I am working through had some great thoughts.
1. Know God- His character, then apply that knowledge to life.
2. Pray and keep on praying."The answer to anxious thoughts is found our knees." Jen Thorton Hebrews 4:14-16
3. Study Philippians and/ or memorize it.
4. Change your thinking. Focus on Philippians 4:8 and things that are true, noble, just, pure, lovely, good report, of virtue, and praiseworthy. "Sometimes our situations are so hard that the only lovely and praiseworthy place to set our eyes is Jesus. He must always be before us so that when we look at our circumstances we look at them through the love, strength and power of Jesus."
5. Worship- Whether corporate or private worship will lift our eyes to Jesus.

We will not ever fully get rid of worry in this flesh, but we can train our hearts and minds to rest in God and know He will never fail us.  

Take comfort today, knowing Who your hope is in! 

No comments:

Post a Comment