Friday, September 21, 2012

How to S.O.A.P.



I am joining up with Good Morning Girls for the fall study of Colossians followed by the Christmas study and am so excited.  If you would like to learn more about the site or study click here.  I am a few days behind as I finished up my Waiting book, but this weekend is time for catch up and a great reminder of the S.O.A.P. method of Bible study.
If you aren't familiar with SOAPing it in Scripture, I highly encourage this method which will help you to soak in more of God's Word.  S is for Scripture and reading/ writing it out.  To actually take time and slowly write out the passage you are focussing on will help it etch into your heart and mind.  O stands for Observations, noting of repeated words or phrases, key words, thoughts, etcetera.  It doesn't hurt to jot down your key observations in a bulletted format.  A would be the application.  What does this passage mean for me? How can I apply it to my life to live out God's Word on a daily basis? Finally, P is the prayer.  Pray God's Word in your life.  Claim His promises and pray them over your loved ones.

Here is an example of the S.O.A.P method.

Scripture: Psalm 62:5-8  "My soul, wait thou only upon God; for my expectation is from him. He only is my rock and my salvation: he is my defence; I shall not be moved. In God is my salvation and my glory: the rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God. Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah."

Observations: *Wait on God
*He is my Rock
*He is my Salvation
* He is my Defence.
*Because of Him, I will not be moved.
*God is my Glory, the rock of my strength, and my Refuge.
*Trust in Him at ALL times.
*Rock repeated twice.
*Salvation twice.
*Refuge twice.

Application: As we wait on God He will make Himself mighty in our weakness.  He will be our Rock, Salvation, Defense, Glory, and Refuge.  He will not allow us to be moved as we wait on Him.  We must trust Him in all areas of our life, and pour out our hearts to Him because He is our strength.

Prayer: Lord, please, help me to wait patiently on you even when I feel like I need to be going and doing for you.  It can be so hard to simply wait at your feet when I want to take the situation into my own hands.  But I trust you to work out your will and way and to be my Rock and Refuge. 

So have you used your S.O.A.P today?  I hope you will give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment