Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Wisdom from Thumper

One of my favorite movies growing up was Bambi...and I'll never forget his cute little rabbit friend named Thumper. Even as a four year old I remember Thumper's mother prompting him to say, "If you can't say somethin' nice, don't say nothin' at all." That phrase became one my Momma would repeat to my sister and I when we were having a disagreement or just for good measure.

I have been reminded more than once that Thumper's wisdom is applicable for me as an adult possibly even more that when I was a child. In fact I believe that it is Scriptural, Proverbs 21:23 says, "Whoso keepeth his mouth and his tongue keepeth his soul from troubles." Proverbs 31: 26 says that the virtuous woman "openeth her mouth with wisdom: and in her tongue is the law of kindness." Colosians 4:6 states, "Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with sought, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man." Proverbs 17:27 states, "He that hath knowledge spareth his words: and a man of understanding is of excellent spirit."

Yes, that little rabbit hit a very practical truth when he famously said, "If you can't say somethin' nice, don't say nothin' at all." I have seen in my own life that it can be easy to speak as your thinking or before you think at all. Letting the Holy Spirit control my tongue and not letting my tongue control itself is a daily struggle for me. I would like to blame some of my quick speech and (in the words of Mrs. Teresa) "sassyness" on pregnancy, but I believe that the fault only falls on not letting the Holy Spirit take control. I pray that I will continually strive to let Him have His way in me, and not quench His still small voice as it speaks to me.

"To be like Jesus, to be like Jesus, how I want to be like Him. All through this journey from earth to glory, all I want is to be like Him."

No comments:

Post a Comment